To get the ball rolling on the promised Monday discussion of the
current release status, and what that implies for the release date,
here is what I have been up to this weekend.

I decided to comprehensively test PLplot on Linux using the epa_build
procedure (documented in cmake/epa_build/README) for doing that.  That
procedure ran into memory management issues for Qt5 that happen
(according to valgrind) whenever an attempt is made to exit Plplot or
(curiously) whenever an attempt is made to exit the cursor-mode OK
button for qt_example.  These memory management issues do not occur at
all for Qt4 (which likely explains Andrew's reported success with
preliminary testing of PLplot for this release).  But for Qt5, these
issues resulted in at least one segfault which motivated the valgrind
investigation that showed these specific memory management issues. I
don't think we have changed our exit procedures since the last time I
tested Qt-5.3.1 this way so I suspect the memory management issues
were always there, but they only generated a segfault by luck just
this time.

I then shifted from epa_building Qt 5.3.1 to 5.4.1, but that version
of Qt5 would not even compile!  I then shifted to trying 5.3.2, and
that built without issues, but gave the same memory managment
valgrind-reported errors for the same specific PLplot situations plus the
segfault.  At this stage I don't know whether the issue is in Qt5.3.x or
my epa_build of that software or something else, but what I intend to
do about this for the rest of this release cycle is simply to avoid
(with a WARNING) all qt testing in my "comprehensive" tests when Qt5
is being used to allow me to complete such comprehensive testing.

So tomorrow (Monday my time) I will implement that constraint on no
comprehensive testing of Qt5, and then try the comprehensive test on
Linux of an epa_built PLplot version again.

At this stage it is already clear that at mimimum it is going to be
next weekend (March 7th) for the release date because of everything I
have to do to finish comprehensive testing and a number of other
pre-release steps.  Of course, that ETA is still quite uncertain and
could be even a wekk later.  But I will do another summary of the
situation late tomorrow (Monday) with results depending on whether I
can get all the way through a comprehensive test on Linux tomorrow,
and also depending on reports from Phil and Jim about how their
plwidgets/plbuf and plmeta/plbuf debugging efforts are proceeding.