To add to that regarding wxWidgets
The current master branch with wxWidgets still has some issues that I
would not be happy releasing. Most importantly is how we go about
selecting whether to use a user wxDC or use the wxPLViewer. After
Friday's discussion I have added a plsdevdata function which can be
used to pass the dc in. However somehow I appear to have broken
something else and when I tested on Ubuntu I got some very strange
issues when trying to select the wxWidgets device with an error
message that implied that the xwin device was selected instead
followed by some garbage characters.  So I now need to try and ppick
through my commit to work out what has caused this break. The moral
here being commit often then git bisect becomes your friend.

Also Alan I pulled down your character changes and they cause issues
on Windows. I now get a popup error message about fonts not supporting
utf8 encoding.

I'm sorry the description here isn't great. I'm also sorry in advance
that I probably won't be on email most of today as I have a very busy
day ahead. But the take home message unfortunately is that the
wxWidgets driver isn't ready yet.

Phil