> Please take a look at his patch series he sent this weekend.  One of those
> patches
> apparently was to fix a wxwidgets issue so part/all of that series may
> be exactly what you need, but I am leaving it to you to evaluate which
> of his commits should be applied to master now, and which should wait
> until post-release (if they don't affect wxwidgets).

I will

> 3) is straightforward and I will do
>>
>> that this evening. 2) is a bit trickier as I don't really have a good
>> understanding of why it is wrong - it uses the same maths as the old
>> driver, but I wonder if the aspect ratio code has changed (for fixed
>> aspect) and there is some similar change required in the text. As
>> issue 4 is a rotated plot I consider this a bit of an edge case for an
>> interactive driver - it does need fixing, but I can live with it in
>> the short term.
>>
>> If you can live with 2 and 4, then we are pretty well ready to go.
>

> If you can live with them for now, then I can too.  However, I would
> appreciate you figuring out what was wrong with my patch to fix the
> wide legend box issues for the unicode case. At the time, you said you
> were getting complaints from Windows about unicode fonts, but since my
> patch simply used a facility you had already developed to determine
> physical width and height of the string that would be rendered by the
> wxwidgets libraries, I suspect that issue was attributable to other
> Windows issues you were having at that exact same time so please take
> another look.

I will look - the Unicode issue was related to you setting use of utf8
fonts which you said matched the wxWidgets example. I have now changed
(back?) to using default font encoding. I think that Windows font
files must generally use a different encoding. Note that this does not
affect the text encoding (which is dealt with on conversion from char
* to wxString) it only deals with font encodings - although I must
confess to not fully understanding how font encodings work.

>> One question I had though, is there any different behaviour required
>> for the no pause state? Currently the driver does not pause at all
>> regardless of this state. It sends all its data to the viewer then
>> continues - for the examples it then exits as it reaches the end of
>> main(), but leaves the viewer open with the plots.
>

> I think the fundamental issue here is that new wxwidgets launches a
> viewer that runs in a completely detached state.  That can be good in
> certain circumstances, but it obviously goes against the paradigm that
> is used for every other interactive device.  So I believe the solution
> here is to implement a wxwidgets driver option that allows detached
> mode (as now), but by default operates in attached mode. Once attached
> mode works, then that makes it possible to control the plot directly
> from the example, e.g., by specifying the nopause option.  I assume
> attached mode would also allow -locate mode to work for example 1,
> sort out some of the example 17 issues, etc.

Locate is already possible, I have a flag in the memory map which
indicates locate mode is on and halts execution of the calling
program. This should be reusable to pause execution of the calling
program, but this may have to wait until post release.