On 2016-12-14 18:00-0500 Pedro Vicente wrote:

Hi Alan

What happens if you try a Ubuntu platform with a system version
of wxwidgets version = 3.0.x?  Same question for a Ubuntu
platform with wxwidgets version = 3.1.x?

I was actually just going to do that  just now, so here it goes

lsb_release -a
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

sudo apt-get install libwxgtk3.0-dev
git clone http://git.code.sf.net/p/plplot/plplot plplot-plplot
cd plplot-plplot
mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/pvicente/plplot-install -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=OFF -DENABLE_f95:BOOL=OFF -DENABLE_tcl:BOOL=OFF -DENABLE_tk:BOOL=OFF -DBUILD_TEST=ON >& cmake.ubuntu.txt &
make VERBOSE=1 test_wxPLplotDemo >& test_wxPLplotDemo.out.ubuntu.txt &

So you have the same bad result for system version of everything on
Ubuntu trusty including wxwidgets-3.0.x (except for Qt5 which should not matter
here).

This certainly qualifies as a release-critical wxwidgets bug.  And you
have certainly supplied enough information that Phil should find this
to be straightforward to reproduce. So if I get a communication from
Phil that he is actively working on this, I will hold the PLplot
release past December 22 for this.  However, if he is out of e-mail
contact, I won't hold the release, and we will just have to live with
the fact that the fundamental wxwidgets binding just plain does not
work on most Linux distros, ugh!

Also, just in case any of those cmake options of yours were affecting the
result I
just tried here

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=OFF
-DENABLE_f95:BOOL=OFF -DENABLE_tcl:BOOL=OFF -DENABLE_tk:BOOL=OFF -DBUILD_TEST=ON ../plplot.git
>& cmake.out

and

make test_wxPLplotDemo >& test_wxPLplotDemo.out

with the same (good) results.

N.B. I have attached those two files in compressed form so you can see
what is different between them and your results.  (Say if you get
failure there even on Debian Jessie.)

By looking at cmake.ubuntu.txt  it uses this GTK+

-- Checking for module 'gtk+-x11-2.0'
--   Found gtk+-x11-2.0, version 2.24.27

so, exactly the same as my CentOS, if that matters

The corresponding output here is

-- Checking for module 'gtk+-x11-2.0'
--   Found gtk+-x11-2.0, version 2.24.25

So you are two patch-versions later with GTK+ which I doubt
matters much at all.

I also have another 16.04 ubuntu , I will try that next

also, you mentioned that on Debian Jessie it's OK.
so i'll try to install that or a recent Fedora on a VirtualBox to see

That's a good idea to at least make sure you can reproduce my good
result on Debian Jessie.  If you can do that, but get bad results for
every other distro, I would begin to wonder what magic and secret
elixir the Debian Jessie packagers applied to wxwidgets and GTK+ to
get them to work properly together? :-)

Seriously, Phil's new wxwidgets binding and device driver first
started life as a wxwidgets-2.x software if I recall correctly. So it is
possible that
Debian Jessie has maintained better wxwidgets-2 compatibility in their
wxwidgets-3 libraries than other distros. In which case to solve this,
Phil would have to figure out how to modernize the wxwidgets binding
and device driver so it does not rely on any wxwidgets-2.x capability
at all.

Do you see any use of (presumably deprecated) wxwidgets-2.x calls
in our wxwidgets binding or device driver?  If so, that might be
a good place to start to work on this issue.

Also, I obviously haven't been paying much attention to this thread
before, but I do recall you were advocating some one-line "fix" with
Phil for our wxwidgets-related software which I did not understand at
all and which he appeared noncommittal about.  But if that is all you
need to get the test_wxPLplotDemo build to work on _all_ Linux distros
(including Debian Jessie here), I would accept your git-formatted
patch to make that one-line change you recommend as a fix for this
release critical issue.  But that one-liner might also be a workaround
for some wxwidgets-2.x calls left in our code like I was speculating
about above or some other issue so Phil may want to reverse this "fix"
after the release and implement a more fundamental fix instead.