From: Alan W. Irwin
Sent: 21 December 2016 19:25
To: Arjen Markus
Cc: PLplot development list
Subject: Re: [Plplot-devel] Comprehensive testing

On 2016-12-21 11:04-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> [...]
[...]
>> I have additional questions about terminology.  Is MSVC an IDE? (That is
>> implied
>> by the wikipedia article about it.) Just out of curiosity is the "Microsoft
>> C/C++
>> optimizing compiler" the compiler used by that IDE?  However, if I recall
>> correctly,
>> you use the command line and not an IDE.  So does that mean you are using
>> nmake on the command line? I believe I have often described your tests as
>> MSVC
>> +ifort, but it appears that is not correct, if MSVC is an IDE that you are
>> not actually
>> using.
>>
> Well, MSVC (MicroSoft Visual C++) is the compiler and it is usual to use it
> in combination with the MicroSoft Visual Studio IDE, but it is perfectly
> possible to use it from the command-line. And that is what I do in the case
> of PLplot. One reason is that it is easier to automate things (if you use the
> Visual Studio generator - and you have carefully selected the right version -
> you get a complex or at least extensive set of projects, each to build a
> single component of PLplot). Another is that I like working from the
> command-line. It gives me more control :).
>
> So, the concise description is correct.

Hi Arjen:

Thanks for the additional information you gave about your test
conditions and also your clarifying explanation above that MSVC is not an IDE
but
often used in conjunction with one.  Which is not consistent with what
the wikipedia article <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_C++> says
(for example, in their summary box they say MSVC is an IDE), but I
suspect they got it wrong this time.

One naming convention still has me confused.  You reported

> C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015>cl -v

> Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 18.00.40629 for x64

There is no mention there of "Visual" so is this some different
compiler than MSVC?

My working hypothesis to explain this difference in nomenclature is
MSVC is actually a suite of products including this compiler, a
debugger, and a lot of machinery (which you don't use) to make it all
work with the Visual Studio IDE.  But I would appreciate your
confirmation of that hypothesis.

If that hypothesis is correct, it might be better to use the shorthand
(and more recognizable) description MSVC to describe your compiler as
opposed to "C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 18.00.40629", but I
would need to know your MSVC version number in that case.

Actually, what I need here is your advice on the best way to designate
your C/C++ and Intel Fortran compiler versions in a way that Windows
developers will instantly recognize, and I will follow that advice.

By the way, it is even more confusing in the free compiler world;
"gcc" is the name of the suite of compilers for C, C++, Fortran, etc.,
but "gcc" is also the name for the C compiler subset of that suite.
:-)