Hi Orion:

This thread has previously been directed mostly at Ole, but
I am including you now because I think it will interest you.  It concerns the
problems (one of them upstream which I plan to fix soon by factoring
the export files [as I promised you long ago, but it got lost on the
stack until Ole ran into this problem again!]) that Ole has been having
with Debian to get testing working properly for the installed
examples.

I would appreciate you contributing to this thread.  For example, if
all Fedora binary packages are installed (which works around the above
factoring problem until I can get it fixed) do the following tests of the
CMake-based and legacy-based installed examples work?

# CMake-based build system for the installed examples
# Move to initially empty build tree first.
rm -rf /tmp/plplot_cmake_test
mkdir /tmp/plplot_cmake_test
cd /tmp/plplot_cmake_test
cmake $prefix/share/plplot$plplot_version/examples
make -j<parallel_build_number> test_noninteractive >& test_noninteractive.out

# Legacy-based build system for the installed examples
# Keep the install-tree clean by copying the installed examples elsewhere
cp -a $prefix/share/plplot$plplot_version/examples /tmp
cd /tmp/examples
make -j<parallel_build_number> test_noninteractive >& test_noninteractive.out

If the above tests work on Fedora that proves that the Fedora
PLplot installation has correctly configured CMake export
and pkg-config *.pc files for the final Fedora installation locations.

Currently such tests fail for Ole's Debian packages, but I think some
attention to the details of PLplot installation locations will solve this
issue.  And similarly in your case if those tests fail for Fedora.