On 2018-11-26 16:46+0100 Ole Streicher wrote:

Hmm, no. It installs the file on the expected place, but *after* this
(just before the files are put into the package), its name is changed
to_Pltk_init.x86_64-linux-gnu.so (so, the architecture triple is added).
Similarly for _plplotc.so (to _plplotc.x86_64-linux-gnu.so) and for the
Python 3 shared libs (there, the name contains the Python version as well).

So, it is not an inconsistent location, but a different file name.

It appears that CMake hard codes the filename on export.  For example,

software@merlin> grep _Pltk_init.so export_plplot-noconfig.cmake
  IMPORTED_LOCATION_NOCONFIG
"/home/software/plplot/HEAD/comprehensive_test_disposeable
blank/shared/noninteractive/install_tree/lib/python3.6/site-packages/_Pltk_init.so"
list(APPEND _IMPORT_CHECK_FILES_FOR_PLPLOT::_Pltk_init
"/home/software/plplot/HEAD/comprehensive_test_disposeable
blank/shared/noninteractive/install_tree/lib/python3.6/site-packages/_Pltk_init.so" )

where export_plplot-noconfig.cmake is (on my system) installed in the
$prefix/lib/cmake/plplot directory.  And you will find similar
hard-coded filenames for all other libraries and shared objects
(dll's) in that file.

To solve this I suggest you simply use a sed script to add the
architecture triple expected by Debian for the relevant filenames in
the above file.

Good luck with that suggested change and let me know how it goes.