On 2018-12-06 14:41+0100 Ole Streicher wrote:

Hi Alan,

sorry for the delay; I now managed to adjust and run the test suite on
the installed package. I'll attach the full log; commands were

$ cmake /usr/share/doc/plplot-doc/examples/
$ make VERBOSE=1 test_noninteractive

I needed to downgrade to cmake 3.12; see bug #191.

Hi Ole:

I am glad to hear you are so close to complete success.

My recent comprehensive test with 3.13.1 works perfectly here for
Debian Buster and the git master tip version of PLplot.  That master
tip version includes a fix for bug 191 so could you confirm that by
trying the master tip version (and then closing that bug if that
indeed fixes it)?

The only remaining
errors are now ADA errors:

Building Ada object ada/CMakeFiles/xstandard16a.dir/xstandard16a.o
make[3]: *** No rule to make target 'plplotada-NOTFOUND', needed by
'ada/xstandard16a'.

My recent comprehensive test using cmake-3.13.1 had no such Ada issue.
So very likely this issue is because your installation is missing the
plplotada *.so file or *.so.*.* file it links to, or this issue is an
artifact of the way Debian packaging software changes locations or
*.so names to some special Debian package naming scheme.

So to debug this final issue do the following:

* Make sure you are using the PLplot master tip version so we are on
  the same page with regard to bug fixes.  This is really important
  since many 5.13.0 bugs are fixed in master tip which is now very
  close to 5.14.0.  (I am now in the process of updating the release notes
  for that forthcoming release.)

* Make sure your Ada binary package or packages are installed, and in those you
should find
  the full pathname of the plplotada *.so file that should be installed
  by that package.

* Check the Ada information in your installed and sed-transformed
  export files for consistency with that full pathname.

If there is an Ada install directory inconsistency, then adjustment of
the Ada install location you use for your core build should fix that.
If there is a name inconsistency, then you need to make that
consistent with some special Debian naming scheme for Ada *.so files by
transforming
our export files with a sed script.  You told me of one such naming
inconsistency
you discovered before for a python related *.so file, and this may be just one
other instance
of the problem or all *.so files may have names that are inconsistent with the
actual
install name.  In all cases if the *.so file name (without the path) does not
match what is actually
installed, a sed script should correct that inconsistency.  Otherwise, it is
"an accident
waiting to happen" as appears to be the case both for that *.so Python module
and now
the Ada *.so file.

If those steps don't help you to completely resolve this matter,
please collect the following information and send it to me.  (i) The
complete list of files in your Ada binary packages (presumably some
rpm command will generate that), (ii) the output from the cmake
command you used *for the core build*, and (iii) the actual original
and sed-modified export files.  I am virtually positive that
information will be sufficient for me to figure out what is wrong.