On 2018-11-24 19:06-0700 Orion Poplawski wrote:

On 11/24/18 11:55 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
Hi Orion:

This thread has previously been directed mostly at Ole, but
I am including you now because I think it will interest you.  It concerns the
problems (one of them upstream which I plan to fix soon by factoring
the export files [as I promised you long ago, but it got lost on the
stack until Ole ran into this problem again!]) that Ole has been having
with Debian to get testing working properly for the installed
examples.

I would appreciate you contributing to this thread.  For example, if
all Fedora binary packages are installed (which works around the above
factoring problem until I can get it fixed) do the following tests of the
CMake-based and legacy-based installed examples work?

# CMake-based build system for the installed examples
# Move to initially empty build tree first.
rm -rf /tmp/plplot_cmake_test
mkdir /tmp/plplot_cmake_test
cd /tmp/plplot_cmake_test
cmake $prefix/share/plplot$plplot_version/examples
make -j<parallel_build_number> test_noninteractive >& test_noninteractive.out

# Legacy-based build system for the installed examples
# Keep the install-tree clean by copying the installed examples elsewhere
cp -a $prefix/share/plplot$plplot_version/examples /tmp
cd /tmp/examples
make -j<parallel_build_number> test_noninteractive >& test_noninteractive.out

If the above tests work on Fedora that proves that the Fedora
PLplot installation has correctly configured CMake export
and pkg-config *.pc files for the final Fedora installation locations.

Currently such tests fail for Ole's Debian packages, but I think some
attention to the details of PLplot installation locations will solve this
issue.  And similarly in your case if those tests fail for Fedora.

Alan

It mostly seems to work fine.  The one strange error for cmake is:

Generate C results for bmpqt file device
/usr/share/plplot5.13.0/examples/test_lua.sh: line 50: lua_svg_test.error: Permission denied
[ 92%] Built target xtraditional16a
cat: lua_svg_test.error: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/test_lua_svg.dir/build.make:374: test_examples_output_dir/x00lua01.svg] Error 1

and for make/pkgconfig:

Generate Octave results for svg device
./plplot-test.sh --verbose --front-end=octave --device=svg
/usr/bin/bash: ./plplot-test.sh: Permission denied
make: *** [Makefile:126: x01o01.svg] Error 126

which is due to my removing the executable bit for the example script to avoid issues with automatic dependencies.

Hi Orion:

I am glad to hear you appear to have what appear to be only two minor
issues flawing complete success with the above tests.

N.B. I regret now specifying the /tmp directory for both tests since that might
get overflowed
by the ~3GB of files that are produced by each of these tests when they are
successful.
So modify my instructions above to create an initially empty build directory
under your home
directory for the CMake-based case, and cp the installed example tree to an
initially empty
examples directory under your home directory.

Here are my comments on those two issues.

I.  For CMake-based build system for the installed examples, issue with
lua_svg_test.error: Permission denied.

Just to remind you, official Debian lua version 5.3.3 (but not Fedora Lua
5.3.5) has a really bad bug
that can only be avoided by using a home-built 5.3.5 (which I use for my
testing).
So in my results the lua location will look quite different than yours.

Line 50 of the configured  test.lua.sh file in my case is

/home/software/lua/install-5.3.5/bin/lua x${index}.${lang} -dev $device -o
"${results}"/x${index}${lang}%n.$dsuffix \
            $options 2> lua_${device}_test.error >|
"${results}"/x${index}${lang}_${dsuffix}.txt

So my guess is in your case the equivalent lua command is having trouble
gaining permissions to write
to /tmp. To check that try running

lua test.lua 2> test.stderr >| test.stdout

in /tmp and also your home directory where
test.lua simply writes separate test strings to stderr and stdout.

Of course, if /tmp was overflowing doing the same test under your home
directory might cure the
issue.

II. For legacy build system for the installed examples, issue with
./plplot-test.sh: Permission denied

The configured and installed (in <prefix>/share/plplot5.13.0/examples)
test scripts in my case have the following permissions

software@merlin> ls -lt *.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software 14080 Oct 27 12:16 plplot-test-interactive.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software 13782 Oct 27 12:16 plplot-test.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  2211 Oct 27 12:16 test_ada.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  2326 Oct 27 12:16 test_c.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  2981 Oct 27 12:16 test_c_interactive.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  2802 Oct 27 12:16 test_cxx.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  2427 Oct 27 12:16 test_d.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  7150 Oct 27 12:16 test_diff.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  2965 Oct 27 12:16 test_fortran.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  2898 Oct 27 12:16 test_java.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  2645 Oct 27 12:16 test_lua.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  2176 Oct 27 12:16 test_ocaml.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  3662 Oct 27 12:16 test_octave.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  4221 Oct 27 12:16 test_octave_interactive.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  2337 Oct 27 12:16 test_python.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 software software  4556 Oct 27 12:16 test_tcl.sh*

Yours should as well since that executable permission bit is essential for all
of
them to work.  So I hope you have a cunning scheme in mind to work
around your package dependency issue another way rather then removing
any/all of these essential executable bits.

And, in this case also, this test should be done in your home directory and
not /tmp.