On 2018-11-27 13:44+0100 Ole Streicher wrote:

Hi Alan,

thanks for the help so far!

Hi Ole:
You are welcome.

On 26.11.18 19:52, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
On 2018-11-26 16:46+0100 Ole Streicher wrote:
It appears that CMake hard codes the filename on export.  For example,

software@merlin> grep _Pltk_init.so export_plplot-noconfig.cmake
  IMPORTED_LOCATION_NOCONFIG
"/home/software/plplot/HEAD/comprehensive_test_disposeable
blank/shared/noninteractive/install_tree/lib/python3.6/site-packages/_Pltk_init.so"

list(APPEND _IMPORT_CHECK_FILES_FOR_PLPLOT::_Pltk_init
"/home/software/plplot/HEAD/comprehensive_test_disposeable
blank/shared/noninteractive/install_tree/lib/python3.6/site-packages/_Pltk_init.so"
)

where export_plplot-noconfig.cmake is (on my system) installed in the
$prefix/lib/cmake/plplot directory.  And you will find similar
hard-coded filenames for all other libraries and shared objects
(dll's) in that file.

I now just remove the checks via sed:

sed
'/\/_Pltk_init.so/d;/\/_plplotc.so/d;/\/plplot_pyqt5_/d;/\/libplplotada.so/d'
\
-i /usr/lib/*/cmake/plplot/export_plplot-none.cmake

And I also removed them from the dependencies in CMakeList.txt of the
examples subdir.

This is not a good idea.  I haven't checked deeply, but our build and
test system for the installed examples may use the location property
of the imported PLPLOT::_Pltk_init target which you have removed with
the above step.  Or we may make such a change later. So if this is not
an issue now, it is "an accident waiting to happen".  So I strongly
suggest instead you fix this properly by using your sed command to
replace (not remove) _Pltk_init.so with the correct Debianized name
for that installed file.

Then, cmake runs fine But the "make" command gives errors after 8%
completion:

--------------------------8<-----------------------------------------
x19c

*** PLPLOT ERROR, ABORTING OPERATION ***
Could not find ss/ss64ne_Landform_Area file., aborting operation
[... repeating the same warning for different files]

*** PLPLOT ERROR, ABORTING OPERATION ***
Could not find ss/ss64ne_General_Text file., aborting operation
make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/test_c_svgqt.dir/build.make:294:
test_examples_output_dir/x00c01.svgqt] Fehler 1
--------------------------8<-----------------------------------------

A recent install of mine has the following shapelib data files installed in
$prefix/share/plplot$version/ss
os_open_conditions.txt    ss64ne_Height_Contours.dbf  ss64ne_Landform_Line.prj
  ss64ne_Water_Area.shp
ss64ne_Building_Area.dbf  ss64ne_Height_Contours.prj  ss64ne_Landform_Line.shp
  ss64ne_Water_Area.shx
ss64ne_Building_Area.prj  ss64ne_Height_Contours.shp  ss64ne_Landform_Line.shx
  ss64ne_Water_Line.dbf
ss64ne_Building_Area.shp  ss64ne_Height_Contours.shx
ss64ne_Road_Centreline.dbf  ss64ne_Water_Line.prj
ss64ne_Building_Area.shx  ss64ne_Landform_Area.dbf
ss64ne_Road_Centreline.prj  ss64ne_Water_Line.shp
ss64ne_General_Text.dbf   ss64ne_Landform_Area.prj
ss64ne_Road_Centreline.shp  ss64ne_Water_Line.shx
ss64ne_General_Text.prj   ss64ne_Landform_Area.shp    ss64ne_Road_Centreline.shx
ss64ne_General_Text.shp   ss64ne_Landform_Area.shx    ss64ne_Water_Area.dbf
ss64ne_General_Text.shx   ss64ne_Landform_Line.dbf    ss64ne_Water_Area.prj

Example 19 depends on these map data so these files are absolutely
necessary for example 19 to work.  Also, I believe we have had some
discussion in the past on the licensing of these files, and I am
positive you were satisfied on that issue.  An apt-file search for
these files here tells me they have not been included in the past in
Debian PLplot packages (likely because of unclear licensing concerns
which we have addressed), but once you address that issue, the above
errors should go away.  And that change (and the sed command change I
recommended above) might be all you need to do to have a complete test
success since the above error occurring for example 19 means almost
half the standard examples work fine for you now.  And, yes, I am a
"glass half full" rather than "glass half empty" kind of guy.  :-)