On 2018-12-16 10:13-0000 António Rodrigues Tomé wrote:

Hi all
I found no evidence of fontconfig not being working properly in my system.
so I've made a small test instead of setting font family to null string
I've set it to a bogus name.
f.setFamily( "BOUGUSTRASHFAMILY" ); // no family name, forcing Qt to find
an appropriate font by itself
and in x01c example as there are four plots i edited the source to add
the    plfont(1); before plot 1, plfont(2); before plot 2,
plfont(3); before plot 3, plfont(4); before plot  4,  I also get erase the
esc text sequence that put title always in Roman.
The results are what one would expected.

Hi António:

I agree, that one-line change seems to have solved all qt device
driver issues on your platform.  So I tried the equivalent here, and
it solves some less obvious Qt issues here for examples 23 and 24 that
have been around for quite a while.  So congratulations on finding a
solution to a PLplot qt device driver bug that has apparently been around since
the
very first development of that device!

I commited a small variation (I added commentary and I replaced your
bogus family name because it was [barely] conceivable a valid font
might adopt that family name) of your fix as of
plplot-5.14.0-8-gdb9d90d0b.  So please test that commit (by using git
checkout plplot-5.14.0-8-gdb9d90d0b before building PLplot from the
git version) to make sure it answers all your qt device needs (other
than character size).

@Everybody:

This fix is pretty crucial for our qt device driver because it appears
to fix all long-standing font problems (including character alignment
for António) for that device driver.  Therefore, I intend to release 5.14.1
with this fix and any other critical fixes that show up in the next few weeks.

More about the git process I should use to create a bug-fix release
(such as the proposed 5.14.1) in my next post.