On 2018-12-22 17:46-0000 António Rodrigues Tomé wrote:

Hi
I must confess that I'm completely unable to work with git.
As git is a widely used tool it is certainly my problem.
After many hours just to be able to perform first instructions in develop
file specially because I tried to read a git instruction to do a new branch
but always get the info not a git repository. Only after many hours I
conclude that was my local folder that was not a git and not the remote
plplot site.

so I made a clone
git clone  https://git.code.sf.net/p/plplot/plplot SourceforgePlplot

~/SourceforgePlplot> git checkout -b QtIssues
Switched to a new branch 'QtIssues'

changed the file qt.cpp

git commit
On branch QtIssues
Changes not staged for commit:
      modified:   drivers/qt.cpp

no changes added to commit

no clue what to do next.

Hi António:

I like to use the subject line "git blog" for git questions.  So I have changed
to that.

The short answer to your question is use "git status" to find out what
is possible to do with your files under git.  In this case you want to
stage your changed files for commit so use "git add" to do that before
you execute "git commit".

To give someone who is just getting started with git some good
background, I recommend reading the the first chapter of
<https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2> in its entirety.  In particular,
<https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Recording-Changes-to-the-Repository>
answers your question above with more background than I have given.