Hi Alan
Glad to be of some help.
Really that empty string in family name especially when the matchof name is
not an exact match could have strange results and could vary from system to
system.
In order for me to use qt drivers, as all my applications are qt based, I
still need different things as I want to be able to call any of the qt
drivers from within a qt appication. For now if I redefine two functions to
doing nothing  in my main.ccp file before int main(int argc, char *argv[])

   bool initQtApp( bool isGUI )

{

}

void closeQtApp()

{

}
It seems to work but i still need to check if there is not leak memory with
this approach.
In the future probably it would be nice if the drivers automatically  could
work from within a qt application.

cheers,

--

António Rodrigues Tomé