Hi
I must confess that I'm completely unable to work with git.
As git is a widely used tool it is certainly my problem.
After many hours just to be able to perform first instructions in develop
file specially because I tried to read a git instruction to do a new branch
but always get the info not a git repository. Only after many hours I
conclude that was my local folder that was not a git and not the remote
plplot site.

so I made a clone
git clone  https://git.code.sf.net/p/plplot/plplot SourceforgePlplot

~/SourceforgePlplot> git checkout -b QtIssues
Switched to a new branch 'QtIssues'

changed the file qt.cpp

 git commit
On branch QtIssues