Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Sun, 09 Jul 2023 12:33:36 -0700

>Hi,
>
>Was looking at the raspberrypi this morning and it brought me to the
>same place I have come to several times in the post.
>
>I have a business account with Cox Cable which allows me to run 1 or
>more servers.  Last year I used an old laptop to make a web server
>using Ubuntu, Apache, MySQL, PHP, plus Postfix and dovecot, plus BIND.
> I'm a PHP dev so I felt pretty good about that achievement.
>
>I only have 1 public IP and everything on my network has a private IP.
> I used port forwarding to get the web server to work.
>
>Supposedly I can get multiple IPs from Cox.  On several occasions I've
>asked the level 1 how I would configure 1 or more servers on the
>public IPs they can provide and they do not know how.

Lots of people have answered your question. If it turns out none of
those answers pans out, you can have a bunch of websites on one IP. You
can have index.html have a small bit of javascript to pull up a
different website depending on the requested URL. If you use nginx,
it's even easier because you simply configure nginx.conf to do that for
you: Much cleaner. I think Apache has something similar, and 20 years
ago I could tell you how to do it, but 20 years is a long time.

Also, if you're speaking of web servers, many shared hosting web
web hosts allow you multiple domain names.

>At some point in the future I'm thinking I'd like to create a publicly
>facing group of PIs to run as a web server (or maybe more)... 1 for
>HTTPS, 1 for DNS, 1 for mail, and 1 for MySQL (on a private IP ?).

If the public IP addresses are unchanging, you could use the techniques
I mention in my previous piece of response to direct it to the proper
IP address. And if you don't like the user seeing a bare IP address,
you can procure domain names for each IP address.

SteveT

Steve Litt