Thank you to everyone who replied.

As you know I have a SOHO/business connection to COX.

Last year I configured an old laptop as a web server. It was LAMP + BIND + Postfix + Dovecot. I created two name servers on a domain with my static and public IP. I then set port forwarding on my "router", and it worked. Everything in my office is on a private IP.

I may never use anything more elaborate, however at some point I may want more than one IP, just for the fun of it, and the level 1's cannot tell me how to use multiple IPs. Seems it might be as simple at getting a router that can deal with multiple IP addresses and plug it into the Cox "Modem".

Thanks!!
Keith

On 2023-07-10 09:36, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss wrote:
Having supported and built cable modem systems for years (including
them), Cox Business will do modems a few ways, but usually
provisioning at the modem a limit quantity of mac/ip's (normally == 1)
for what can pass, then you just *use* them as you would normally,
either grabbing dhcp (with a new mac) or using statically assigning to
the same public host as the main (ie firewall/router).  If you get a
contiguous /29 or larger network block/prefix from them or on your
own, they'll usually give you a static ip and route that /29 prefix
*at* your primary ip, so traffic knows how to get to you, then you
just apply them with nat or however normally to the interface.  They
can also do private mpls connectivity, but that's another bag...

As David said, your modem is NOT a router, mostly a Layer 1-2 bridge
with some provisioned security features (DOCSIS BPI), unless it's one
of their combo boxes with router/wifi built-in, but those tend to suck
and you don't want to use those anyways.  Any routing occurs at the
Cox CMTS (cable modem termination system, your cable gateway router),
or your gateway firewall/router.

-mb

On Sun, Jul 9, 2023 at 11:34 PM David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss