I also assume that with this machine (8GB RAM version) I would be able to create a Web server configured running Proxmox and multiple VMs that would all be running simultaneously, one for HTTP(s), one running MySQL, one running BIND, and one running Dovecot and Postfix.

Understanding what a vCPU is really is a game changer.

Keith

On 2023-07-21 09:32, Ryan Petris wrote:
1) a vCPU is akin to a process.

Yes

2) One can configure lots of VMs that will share the CPUs.

Yes

3) Do not overload the server by adding too many VMs that all want

resources. I assume top can be used to evaluate the amount of load
on

the server.

That's correct, you should see one "/usr/bin/kvm" process per vcpu if
you're using proxmox

3) When I configure a VM the amount of RAM is static (not shared).
If I

have 16GB of RAM then I realistically can only have around 12 - 14GB
of

RAM in use at any given time.  That would be running VMs.  I can
have

tons of VMs that are not running and not using resources/RAM and
their

RAM is no counted.  Its the active VM's that count.  RAM is not
shared.

The RAM _can_ be shared but that's dependent on the virtual machine
being configured properly. Linux, at least, automatically detects if
it's running in a virtual machine and enables what's called
"ballooning" to give back unused ram to the host. So again, as long as
you're able to keep the in use memory under your total memory you
should be fine.

A good rule of thumb though is, under normal load/usage, your in use
memory shouldn't exceed 50% of your total memory.

If you're going to run a Windows VM you'll want to make sure to
install the virtio drivers, of which Fedora provides a compiled
version of:
https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.229-1/

4) The amount of file space allotted to a VM is also static and is
taken

up even when the VM is off.  For example if I have 10 VMs that are

assigned 20GB of disk space each, then that would total 200GB that
are

allocated and are always assigned and not shared with the other VMs.

Disk space is also tricky, you can either pre-allocate it, in which
case you're correct, or use "thin provisioning", where the VM will
only take up as much space on the host as used in the VM. Now, that
space will grow over time but will never shrink on its own, even if
you delete stuff from the VM. If you think of it as an SSD that needs
a periodic trim, it functions similarly. Coincidentally, if you use
Proxmox with either "raw" disk images or use ZFS, then you'll be able
to issue a trim command from the guest, which will release any unused
disk space back to the host. I personally run a trim on all my VMs
once every few months or so, or when I notice that a VM is taking up
much more space than is actually in-use in the VM.

You'll probably find some information saying that pre-allocating disk
space is better because it performs better, however I think that
advice is outdated especially if you're going to run the VMs on a good
quality SSD or NVME drive.