On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Russell Senior wrote:

> Just a heads-up, NoCatAuth (which I believe FreeGeek is using) typically
> won't let you use your own nameservers because all your traffic (with
> specific exceptions) is blocked until you accept the conditions.  In those
> cases, the network is expecting you to use its DHCP supplied
> nameserver(s).  I'm going to guess (necessary since you don't provide
> enough information) that your machine is not accepting the DHCP provided
> nameserver(s), but using your own overrides (8.8.8.8 is one of google's
> public DNS servers).

   At both Free Geek and the coffee shop this morning /etc/resolv.conf was
set by the local DHCP servers and showed the IP addresses for the two
nameservers they provided. I wrote that this was the case; the coffee shop
provided 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 that's why I used them. I am _not_ using the
default resolv.conf that's set up for ethernet on the LAN, but whatever
resolv.conf is set by the wifi servers at the two locales.

Rich