From: Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
Sender: plug-boun...@lists.pdxlinux.org
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:25:22
To: <p...@pdxlinux.org>
Subject: [PLUG] Understanding Networking Components

   At the PLUG clinic last week the Sony Vaio laptop on the wireless
interface, wlan0, received an IP address, had the Free Geek server provide
content in /etc/resolv.conf, but would not load the Free Geek web page to
accept their terms and conditions and gain access to the 'Net.

   This morning I spent about an hour at a local coffee shop with the same
results: wlan0 was UP and RUNNING with the IP address of 10.5.70.104 and
nameservers of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. But, firefox would not load the
netbeans.com gateway Web page, 'netstat -r' showed the gateways for wlan0,
but ping and traceroute failed with both domain names and IP addresses (the
first showed 56 bytes sent then froze, the latter told me the newwork was
unreachable).

   I don't understand enough about networking to figure out the source of the
problem. My experiences are that a non-working ping and/or traceroute
telling me that the network is unreachable means the interface cannot find a
DNS server to resolve the IP address. But, in this case, /etc/resolv.conf
has name servers identified and both ping and traceroute fail when fed IP
addresses, too.

   What might be the problem here, where there's an IP address issued by the
DHCP server in response to a dhcpcd request by wicd, nameservers are
assigned, but there's no ability to connect to a Web server or anywhere
else?

Thouroughly confused,

Rich