Running a physical server has advantages in all areas. Randall didn't
actually mention his use case. Does anyone know of any such services in the
area?

It could be anything from security, government regulations, performance,
and even education. Don't assume you know what he is looking for without
even asking. I would also like to know if there are any local COLO options.
Mostly because of my interest in OS configurations. For me personally, I'd
rather have control of my server OS from an education and hobby
perspective. How much I spend on my hobby or business is my responsibility.

Those virtual servers you are so excited about run on physical hardware. At
the end of the day SOMEONE has to run bare metal. Or we can have a moment
of silence for all the docker containers that will vanish when the world's
last server fails to POST.