On Jun 18, 2018, at 1:38 PM, Michael Rasmussen<mich...@michaelsnet.us>  wrote:

To stress "As others have suggested, you may be able to use a VM" - at my final
job before retirement (Large bank, Fortune 500, etc) everything possible was migrated to
in-house VMs.
I want to say mail services were an early migration. In any case, the entire
mail infrastructure was run on virtual servers.

There's no need for a physical server.

This is your opinion. We're not trying to determine if a VM is capable of
running *a* mail server. We're trying to determine what the requirements of
*his* mail server are, because that drives whether a physical server is
required.

There may be a security requirement such as "no AES key leakage to other
tenants". In this case, he may not be able to use a VM. There are people in the
crypto community who believe that any system that needs secure crypto should not be
virtualized.
I need a secure crypto system, hence physical. Too much can go wrong with a virtual system. Who really owns the virtual system? Not you!