On Thu, Jun 30, 2022, 10:48 Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> I want to purchase a KVM switch that allows me to switch an HP Compaq
> LA1951g monitor between two desktop workstations. One workstation has a
> Radeon Pro WX 4100 video card with 4 mini-displayports, the other has a
> Radeon Pro WX 2100 video card with 2 mini-displayports and 1 displayport.

I use DVI monitors, so I'm unqualified to recommend
displayport switches.

For DVI, I've had good luck with IOGEAR GCS932UB switches,
because they retain and provide monitor "EDID" records (if
powered), very useful when changing/rebooting computers.
I buy these switches "open box new" from eBay.  Such older
hardware matches older reviews and accumulated (10% useful)
Q/A on the web.

A second IOGEAR replaced a two port DVI switch (free to an
evil home) that does NOT remember EDID.   In between was
another cheap switch that "remembered" a preset EDID record
for runtscreen (aka "widescreen") monitors.   That did not
work at all with my favored Planar 1910 4x5 monitors.

One computer's video card is dual displayport; I have
dongles converting that to DVI for the switches.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 11:05:13AM -0400, Tomas Kuchta wrote:
> I find kvm switches to be nothing, but a frustration with modern desktop.
> Most kvm will keep one of the computers disconnected at all times. This
> results in not activating graphics card output or some desktop size issues.

Tomas' use case seems simpler than mine and Rich's.

As I write this, I am migrating from ancient Redhat distros
and decades of accumulated production processes (back to
BSD4) to an Ubuntu 20.04.3 distro with MANY new (and often
irksome) behaviors.  Soon, 22.04.1, after that matures.

A lot of "de-snapping" - I  do NOT need yet another limited
package provisioning system.  I may be driven to pure
Debian, forget the Canonical bells and whistles.

I run two screens switched between two computers to perform
MANY A/B comparisons ... always the perennial question,
"why did it work before and not now?"

Indeed, some of the displays and comparisons are "virtual"
and can be enabled by SSH, but too many of the oldest apps
are custom, fragile, and network-unaware.

I'm guessing Rich (who, like me, is no spring chicken) has
a similar legacy accumulation of ancient and custom tools.
For months, I've been porting and failing and tweaking and
(re)discovering flaws and workarounds.  I hope to create
work platforms that I can maintain into advanced old age.

I ponder my 104yo father-in-law; how can I keep using my
tools when I am his age?  How can I dotage-proof my
systems?

Someday, I may forget how to push the little buttons
under each monitor to switch between computers, but they
are much easier to understand than ssh.

At this very moment, I am migrating moinmoin wiki content
from version 1.9.8 to 1.9.11.  Mostly easy, except that
the ancient user password encryption method I've used
since moinmoin 1.4.x has been dropped; extracting old
passwords and updating them to the new method is vexing.

A planned finishing touch is designing a homebrew toolbar
icon that reminds me which computer and distro is driving
which screen.  For now, I do that with the desktop
background, but my working desktops are littered with
dozens of open windows and apps covering the background.

This will all be easier, and A/B switching will be rarer,
after I complete this vexing migration (on these two
computers, six laptops, and an offsite virtual server
hosting a dozen URLs).

But this won't be the last obsolescence-driven migration,
so I plan for more challenging future migrations when I
have even less mental capability.  I stockpile spares
and write notes on the house wiki, printed to a file of
paper in case of computer or screen failure.

-----

Some of the advanced systems I design won't be complete for
*centuries*, so I also attempt to anticipate the needs of
owners/users/victims whose great-great-grandparents haven't
been born yet.  But then, I still use some of my great
grandfather's hand tools, brought to Oregon from Sweden by
my grandfather in 1911.

( http://keithl.com/ticket1.png ; Tomas - save your first
  US arrival plane ticket for your own future grandchild )

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com