On Thu, 30 Jun 2022, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

Tomas' use case seems simpler than mine and Rich's.

Keith,

You use two monitors, both displaying what's on a single computer, and
switch between two computers. I will have a single monitor displaying
applications on two desktops. That was my setup a long time ago, and I then
used NFS, so I'll re-learn how to set that up because it's more reliable
than KVM switches as I've been told by those who have felt the pain.

I'm guessing Rich (who, like me, is no spring chicken) has a similar
legacy accumulation of ancient and custom tools. For months, I've been
porting and failing and tweaking and (re)discovering flaws and
workarounds. I hope to create work platforms that I can maintain into
advanced old age.

Both desktops (and the laptop) run Slackware so upgraded applications that
work on one will work on the others.

In 2003 I went through the pains of switching distributions, from Red
Hat-7.0 to Slackware-8.0. It did take a while to rebuild essential tools and
learn the new package management system.

Stay healthy,