Brandon Beattie wrote:
On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:25:17PM -0400, John Anderson wrote:
Whats the best (in your humble opinion) computer science school in Utah?

I'm shocked the UofU hasn't been mentioned yet... BYU from my experience
as good as you want it to be.  There are a couple great teachers, a half
dozen poor teachers and the rest are average (or was-so 5 years ago).
<disclaimers>
<dis>I nave never attended any university besides BYU</dis>
<dis>I got my BS in 1990</dis>
</disclaimers>

Having said that, my older sister and I both had friends visit us and attend classes with us at BYU. Without exception, the were shocked that all of our undergrad CS classes were taught by professors. At "normal" schools (UofM, UGA, Ga Tech), where publish or perish is more pressing, grad students teach the undergrad classes, and they didn't see a professor in their major classes until they were seniors. And then they were rare.

Admittedly, some of the profs at BYU are better researchers than teachers (I hope), but I thought the quality of teaching at BYU was well above average for a major uni. I had one CS class taught by a grad student.

Of course, BYU hadn't granted a PhD in CS at the time, so the professors may spend less time teaching now.

FWIW,
Barry Roberts