I bought a macbook pro with the intention of installing linux on it. I have been using os x, and I'm perfectly happy with the functionality it gives me. I am interested in how well linux would perform on it (sleep and wireless network specifically). I have read docs on getting linux working on the macbook/macbook pro and the results seem promising.

Jeff Anderson

Michael L Torrie wrote:
So I'm almost in the market for a new laptop.  My old machine is a
PowerBook 12" with OSX.  Right now my choice is really between a
Thinkpad T61 14" and a MacBook.  I would be interested in the Thinkpad
X61, but I really kind of like the trackpad.

Now giving up OS X will be very difficult, but it's bearable if Linux
runs well on it.  People tell me that Thinkpads run Linux the best of
any laptop out there.  However I have yet to hear of any laptop (even
the EeePC!) that can successfully suspend and resume like my venerable
PowerBook has always done.  Does anyone have Linux sleeping nicely on
any laptop (especially a thinkpad)?  I mean can I just close the lid,
have it pulse it's little power light, then pop the lid and start
working?  I know many people have hibernate working, but that's not
really what I want.  Maybe Apple has spoiled me, but it seems like this
is a basic essential function.

What are my chances?  Should I just abandon the idea of a Linux laptop
and buy a MacBook?