On 21 Jan 2008, at 13:18, Jason Edwards wrote:

I've checked and recheck many times.  I don't run any widgets in
Dashboard.  I don't have any icons on the desktop (the window server
has to draw a window for each icon, even when you can't see them!).  I
also don't let any third party apps put anything in the menubar
(because it slows down redraws).  I only have iTerm, Firefox, Mail,
iTunes, and Eclipse open.  In the background I've got MySQL and
Mongrel (app server for Ruby on Rails).  I rarely have any swapspace
in use.  I suppose I could reboot everyday, but I like to pretend OS X
is better than Windows.

I would give AppleCare a call. They have been quite helpful for me in the past.