On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 09:45 -0600, Stephen M. McQuay wrote:
> Also, no mention of the node.js hyperphenomenon?!?! ;)

Since I did the node.js presentation recently, I guess I should respond.

node.js is awesome, but...

Most modern web development projects should be built using a framework.
There are no amazing frameworks for node.js yet. Express is okay, but
it's not all that (to say nothing of the bag of chips).

There's several node.js frameworks with serious hype. For example:
Mojito, Meteor, and Derby (not to be confused with Apache Derby). Push
past the hype, though, and none is as exciting as Rails was at its peak.

Not every project needs a framework. Most languages build a todo list to
demonstrate how "easy" they are to use. It's cliche at this point to
built a chat server in node.js to make the same point. But let's be
honest, most projects need more than a chat server.

Don't get me wrong. I think node.js is really exciting. However, most of
the things that suck in other languages still suck when you're using
node. There's a handful of things that are much easier, but they're
balanced by the fact that node isn't as mature yet.

Maybe that's why so little has been said about node. Or maybe it's
because most of Plug hasn't played with it yet.