On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok so has anyone here actually tried Scala & Liftweb?  My opinion is that
> its by far the best solution for most of what we've been talking about.

I have played with it, but not extensively.  It definitely has some
cool ideas in it.  I really like the template system and the way
server-push stuff is integrated.  But it's not anywhere near the sort
of 'easy like PHP' solution the OP was talking about.  You've got a
steep learning curve for Scala along with a steep learning curve for
Liftweb, and although Scala and Liftweb have some high-profile users,
it's nowhere near common.  And the primary creator of Liftweb even
says Scala is hard for the average programmer, and will not produce
short or long term benefits unless you've got a '95th percentile skill
level' team.

So, yeah.  I'd love to see more people play with Liftweb and some of
the cool Haskell-based web frameworks (Yesod is pretty slick, as are
some of the others), but that would imply significantly more people
learning Scala and Haskell, and that seems unlikely.  But if you give
a presentation on Scala & Liftweb, I'll show up. :)

         --Levi