I agree that would be the better route.  However our elected
representatives and the
majority of the population do not agree.  There has been little to no
political action
toward removing marriage from government.  I do not believe there is any likely
possibility for that kind of change to happen in the near future.

So, until that time in the future comes when we can remove marriage from being
entrenched in our society and government, we exist in situation where groups
of people are not being treated equally under the law.  The practical remedy
for this problem is that we can simply legalize marriage for all people.