On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM, keith smith <klsmith2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> First I do not believe God would tell me to violate his word.  So I really
> cannot answer your question.

Well, if you think about it, it's kind of impossible for someone to
tell you to violate their word... I mean, if I tell you to do
something, that's my word, right?  The most I can do is contradict
what I said earlier.  But that's not what I meant.  The specific
question is, "If God tells you to do something, does that make it the
right thing to do?"

> If I heard a voice telling me to kill or rape, I would instinctively know it
> was the voice of the devil.

So if God would never tell you to kill or rape, is that because they
are intrinsically wrong and God knows it?  I.e. would they be wrong
without God being here to say "do this, don't do that"?  Or is God
required to *create* rightness and wrongness - that is, if God didn't
exist, would murder and rape suddenly become morally neutral or
possibly even right?

Another way to phrase the same question: Is a right act right because
God loves it?  Or is it loved by God because it is a right act?  Which
comes first, God's love for it, or its rightness?

-Dan