On 08/18/2015 01:32 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
> That's what I figured. Thanks for the tips. I already wound up writing a
> set of scripts to emulate useradd/userdel. Now to figure out how to tie
> smbpasswd in to the pam/nss sequence, so smbpasswd -a doesn't complain when
> the user isn't in /etc/passwd. :)

There's a script called mkntpwd that generates the hashes that samba
uses.  You can download it from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ldaputils/files/latest/download

I believe you can use this to create the hashes and manually add them to
/etc/smbpasswd.  Though on my computer I don't have that file. It's in
/var somewhere and it's in tdb form for whatever reason.

Of course samba requires a user to exist or else you can't connect as
that user.

There apparently is a backend module for Samba that lets you use MySQL
as the user database store, much like LDAP can be used:
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Samba_with_Mysql

If you embark down this road, I strongly suggest you switch to LDAP
which is meant for this sort of thing.  FreeIPA is a complete solution
that involves LDAP.