> And if Kerberos is becoming the defacto standard these days I guess I
need to read up on it.

Haha. Becoming? No. It's the standard, and has been the standard for many
years.

> I'll see if I can't find a good book or two on the system.

If you are still here, trying to solve what essentially looks to me like an
identity management problem (or IdM as red hat likes to call it), I highly
recommend FreeIPA. It handles kerberos, pam, samba, and NFS
authentication/authorization with ease. It also allows for radius and totp
auth.

But if you want to go back to debating the efficacy of kerberos and pam,
I'm sorry but you are doing it wrong. This isn't an opinion, it is a proven
mechanism and should be given great credit. It's much of why the security
of *nix systems has been better than others for so long.

Have a nice day.

herlo