On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 1:12 AM, Dan Egli <ddavide...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's ESPECIALLY complex for those of us who have never LOOKED at
> Kerberos. And how would you use something like that for a root FS on NFS?
> I'm all for security, even in a home network. But I don't know that
> anything else but NFSv3 can be used for a non-local root FS unless I want
> to go all the way up to iSCSI, which is just crazy for a home network, I'd
> think. I can see using that in certain settings, but not in a simple home
> network where the only mass storage is on the server and all clients are
> diskless.

 Regardless of what you do for this immediate system, it would be worth
your time to look at and understand how Kerberos and LDAP can be used for
managing authentication and authorization, as it's the combination at the
heart of Windows domain servers as well as a number of Unix-based
solutions. It's by far the most common way those things are handled today,
at least as far as I see (which is admittedly not directly from a sysadmin
seat these days, so I could be mistaken about the scope).