Owen Smith wrote:
> The biggest loss for me from Extras is the 30 day Listen Again window,
> we're down to 7 days now on the official feed which is rather paltry.
> Are they deliberately trying to drive users away from third party
> internet radios and players to get people to use Apps or the BBC web
> site? Because it certainly feels like it.
>
> I've started recording BBC radio programmes on my Freeview PVR again, a
> 7 day catchup window just isn't enough for me. This unfortunately means
> poorer sound quality compared to the 320kbps AAC iPlayer feeds.
>
> And I also miss the A-Z of programmes. I don't care when The Early Music
> Show was broadcast, I just know that's what I want to play so A-Z is
> easier to find it.

My only thought on the 30 day issues was for the plugin to save the BBC
7 day feed and merge with previous day so that after a while there is a
accumulated feed which would provide the 30 days.

I liked A-Z (and other feeds) it meant you could find programmes easily
(search current BBC web site for "In our time" and you get any program
with "our" "time" as well). Look at BBC web site now - I challenge you
to find the A-Z menu there (it is still there but no longer front &
centre) and it also seems to me BBC have either deliberately slowed it
down or changed the database so that it is very very slow.

At the moment I don't have the enthusiasm to develop these ideas (and I
have researched other approaches in the background) further as I think
BBC is playing "whack-a-mole"  where 3rd parties are the mole - if I
develop an answer - BBC will shut down that route.  I think one motive
is the BBC is trying to hamper the "downloaders" and we're just
collateral damage