slartibartfast wrote:
> This morning I think I experienced the same issue as you. Playing the
> main interactive FLAC stream two songs played successfully then shortly
> after the third track started playback stopped and a message appeared
> briefly on the Touch screen which disappeared before I had a chance to
> read it and then after a short period of silence playback restarted from
> the first track. Second time through the first three tracks were played
> successfully and the fourth track suffered a gap of around 5 seconds
> before continuing. The fifth track again stopped playing and this time I
> did see "rebuffering failed" on the Touch screen and playback restarted
> from the first track again.

It's funny. I posted that last week after others had issues, and I
experienced them as well. Since then (have not tried it today), I played
the mellow, regular, and rock (regular) streams most of the weekend, and
I was in listening range (most of the time), they all played fine all
day, for days. One thing that was common to all that time, no one else
was using the network, the touch had it all to itself.

I had thought in the past, and continue to think (just a guess/theory)
that these streams are less forgiving to network/isp
interruptions/bandwidth/exceptions, that is, they stumble more easily
and don't resume gracefully. Example - maybe a 128kbps - 320kbps
standard internet stream just rebuffers, then continues, an these
streams do not handle it as gracefully. That is my theory assuming the
RP side is working fine.

At my current location I have an old pc with little memory, crappy dsl
(10mbps down, 1-2 up, provider is notorious) and everything is on wifi
(rpi server connected to router though). It's easy for one activity to
choke another here, so you could say this is a good test system for my
theory :)

Having said all of that, the streams sound wonderful. I don't want my
appreciation to Michael's and others efforts in integrating these into
SB to get lost by noting the hiccups that occur. I am not whining :)
They are very livable for me.

One last thing, I have only ever seen the "go back to a previous song"
on the interactive streams, which makes sense I guess.

Jim