bpa wrote:
> what does "ls -l /etc/localtime" show ?

Sadly, nothing too helpful:

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ *ls -l /etc/localtime*
ls: /etc/localtime: No such file or directory

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ *ls /etc*
asound.conf    httpd.conf     modprobe.d/    profile.d/     shells
fstab          init.d/        motd           protocols      skel/
group          inittab        mtab           resolv.conf    ssl/
gshadow        issue          nsswitch.conf  rpc            sudoers
host.conf      ld.so.cache    passwd         securetty      sysconfig/
hostname       ld.so.conf     pki/           services       udev/
hosts          mke2fs.conf    profile        shadow