Erm wrote:
> ... After a hard won argument I have been granted permission to fit a
> chain of (tasteful) RJ45 sockets ...
As part of a major house refurb I ran CAT5e everywhere around the house
I could think of and still wish I'd run a bit more. One tip - most
ranges of electrical socket offer a "Euro Faceplate" option for pretty
trivial money, into which you can fit standard CAT5e Euro Modules (I
used basic Connectix stuff - 'from here'
(https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat5e-modules-and-wall-outlets/23-cat5e-utp-rj45-module-euromod-size-5056045700233.html)
without a single failure). This works out a *lot* less expensive than
using the Cat5e sockets offered by eg MK, blends with your existing
power sockets and I think the quality is better as well.
As to Powerline - I put a couple of mid-range TP-Link units into my
parents-in-law 1930's very solid house (having lost the debate about
running Cat5e there...) and they work really well - as per previous
comments you can ignore the quoted "speeds" but they've transformed the
WiFi coverage around their house, so I'm not convinced that it's worth
paying the significant premium that Devolo etc. charge.

Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
1x Boom, 1x Radio
2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30