I thought I'd give a quick update; I decided to add ratings to one genre
(none of my tracks have them) and try out the ratings recipe from the
original MIP settings, which worked as it should and more or less solved
the problem of track selection.

However, now when I choose a genre with no ratings without turning the
recipe off, I'm getting similar results...suddenly all folders are
getting seemingly equal attention. Not sure what having the ratings
recipe turned on for tracks with no ratings is doing but if you also are
having these kinds of track selection issues maybe try it as I'm curious
if others would have the same results.