Per the developer's suggestion I've been watching the live view and am
totally seeing how the Sugarcube mixes get in the shape they're in since
the suggestions presented by MIP are generally all the same folder,
album, location, etc., with very small variation. Yet when I turn off
Sugarcube and just turn on the MIP mix in LMS, I get a much wider
variety of albums/locations/artists.

He basically said to watch what happens and if MIP is only presenting
Sugarcube with narrow choices then there's not really much he could do,
and I see what he means...but why is that happening there, but using it
in standalone mode it works much better? I've still not had time to
focus and strip out all the tags but I'm wondering now how much
difference that would make - maybe little, maybe lots. Only one way to
find out, I suppose.