bins wrote:
> Thanks for all the help - I will upgrade to Buster at some point - I'm
> reluctant to just upgrade openssl (if that is even possible) on jessie -
> don't want to break anything else

If you use other internet service such as plugin repositories, audio on
demand, and many radio stations - you'll hit the "https" issue.  I think
you should prepare for an upgrade and as Ronnie said - insitu upgrade
Jessie to stretch is a pain - better to make a new image and go to
Buster. If you are not forced then you can prepare a separate sdcard
with Buster/LMS setup, get it working to your satisfaction knowing that
you can still use the Jessie sdcard while you iron out Buster issues..