Sorry, I should have been clearer: I’m not having any trouble,
personally, I just wanted to chip in to show how one can test what
versions of TLS your OpenSSL can use with a particular site.  Leave off
the “-tls1” and it’ll use whatever it thinks best.

bpa wrote:
> Could the problem be in openssl 1.0.* (and associated libraries) trying
> to access a site which can support TLS 1.3  but which openssl 1.0.*
> doesn't know about ?

I think this demonstrates that that's not the problem here, right now
(unless there exists a buggy version of the libraries that negotiate TLS
1.3 and then can't actually use it).  However, it certainly *is* a real
problem that users will experience somewhere, sooner or later, if
they're stuck on an old version of OpenSSL, so the advice to upgrade to
a recent OS is solid in any case.