d6jg wrote:
> https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/List-of-USB-DACs
>
> If you do a search (Ctrl+F) of the spreadsheet for "NAD M51" you will
> find a very recent entry for it on 9/11/20 which very encouragingly
> says
>
> "It's possible to output to the M51 at hi-rez using the HDMI port (HDMI
> audio: & sysdefault:CARD=ALSA) without an on-board DAC. Sounds as good
> if not better than the HiFi Berry DAC on the Coax output."
>
> You just need a 2GB Pi4, a nice case, and SD card and a decent
> powersupply and install piCorePlayer.
> If you have a LAN port near the Hi-Fi then there is hardly any config to
> be done.
> If not you will have to temporarily connect via LAN elsewhere then
> config the Pi for your WiFi network before moving it to your Hi-Fi.
> It really is easy.
>
> PS. If you really get stuck then let us know your geographic whereabouts
> and chances are someone local to you will build you what you need.

Thanks for researching this and for the updated instructions.  The
option of someone locally helping me is a great peace of mind lifeline
if needed, thanks again!

Now that I understand it a little better, a question that arises is, can
I temporarily use a Windows 7 laptop that has hdmi, in place of the Pi4?
But I think the piCorePlayer only works on Linux?  I guess I'm still
not quite understanding this totally, I appreciate your bearing with me.