d6jg wrote:
> Yes you could use a Windows 7 laptop with HDMI or with a USB cable - the
> latter is likely to work without any fiddling but in either case may
> need to be permanently attached or you could find yourself having to
> power off the DAC every time you connect.
> You would need to install either squeezelite (command line player) or
> squeezeplay (has a GUI) or a windows app (from the app store) called
> squeezelite-x
> The first 2 are maintained by user ralphy and you can find at -
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/
> The latter is available from the Windows app store but you may need W10
> for it
> However W7 is no longer supported so if you a serious about digital
> music and LMS then go the Pi route - it uses hardly any power so can be
> permanently on and can be both a player and a server - once you have
> gone that way you will not look back.
> You will sit on the couch and control your playlist from a phone or
> tablet using the Material skin plugin with no Windows PC in the chain.
>
> Your music files would be on a USB disk attached to a Pi acting as
> server which could be wired to your router with another Pi as a player
> behind your HiFi or you could site a single Pi as player/server behind
> your HiFi - if it is a server it is much better if it is cabled and has
> a fixed IP address.
>
> Alternatively if you have a NAS you can keep your files there and point
> the Pi server at it.
>
> First question. Have you got LAN near the HiFi?

This additional info is great.  I will go through and try to understand
it.

Not having a Windows PC in the chain would definitely be a positive.
The laptop would just be temporary until I get the Pi project set up.
(I do plan to upgrade my desktop computer from Windows 7 to 10, so would
probably upgrade the laptop as well.)

I don't have a LAN near the HiFi.  I used to run a Cat 7 30 foot cable
from my router (attached to the desktop I work on and which has my music
files currently) to the Duet in the room with the HiFi.  Then I switched
to WiFi.