d6jg wrote:
> Does it help you understand if I replace the & in JJ Cale & Eric Clapton
> with a , ?
> It’s just a text string but it’s the text string that the artists have
> chosen to put on the cover of their album so it’s what should logically
> be displayed.
>
> I thought it was an easy example to understand.
>
> Assume 2 albums
> Album 1
> The Road to Escondido by JJ Cale & Eric Clapton
>
> Here AlbumArtist is multi value
> JJ Cale & Eric Clapton
> Eric Clapton
> JJ Cale
>
> Value 1 is how it appears in Album based lists
>
> Track Artist is JJ Cale & Eric Clapton
>
> Album 2
> A various artists album featuring one track from Album 1
>
> AlbumArtist = blank (it’s a compilation)
>
> TrackArtist for the track in question is
> JJ Cale & Eric Clapton
> Eric Clapton
> JJ Cale
>
> From an indexing point of view theses schemes work perfectly but the
> track from Album 2 shows all values from TrackArtist at Queue and Now
> Playing levels.
>
> I’m asking Craig whether what’s displayed at Queue and Now Playing can
> be switchable
> All values for you
> Value 1 for me
>
> Then I think we are both happy
I think I'll never understand.  Why aren't  Eric and JJ separate Track
Artists on Album 1 as well?  We just think very differently.  I'll just
make a couple of comments on the way I see things and then had better
stop - this isn't a tagging thread, and I'm happy with the skin the way
it is.  If additions can be made for you, so much the better.

I believe the habit of having one tag with several names in it is at
least partly because quite a few music systems don't pay attention to
multi-tag artists (etc), so manufacturers put them all in one tag.    I
can't see any other reason to do so.  I can't imagine the artists would
care one way or the other - they are both acknowledged.

I have realised that another key principle for me for putting everything
in separate tags is so that I can created sort ordered names.  I order
all artists by surname, and use logic in my tagging software to create
sorted forms of all types of artists.  To find Eric I would look for
Clapton and Cale under C, not J or E.  For that to work, all names need
to be separate.   Terms like 'The' have to be moved around so that The
Beatles is under B.  The options within LMS don't always work for my
data, so I had to do it all myself in creating sort tags.  I even have
to normalise names, since the variation in spellings of artists,
particularly eastern european, is extraordinary, and I want them to be
all the same person.  So once again I ignore the manufacturers'
formats.

It takes all sorts :)

LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps.  2
Touches & EDO.
LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz
CR603 UPnP renderers.
Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with
Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.