I set the nomysqueezebox startup parameter in pCP and restarted. When
disconnected from Wi-FI/LAN, and using pCP as a WAP, the Apps LMS menu
now lists 'What Was That Tune?', but alas still doesn't list anything

No history from before re-boot? Or not even after you've been playing for a while?

I've played with Wi-Fi/LAN disconnected.  No log entries for
audioscrobbler either, even with logging enabled for it.

What about the prefs files? WWTT writes its history to playhistory.prefs in the usual prefs folder (see Settings/Information).

Can you share your server.log.zip file after you've been playing a couple of tracks with debugging for plugin.playhistory and plugin.audioscrobbler (but before restarting the pCP!)?