Thanks for the pointers, been there done those; Specifically:

I tried "alexa, stream the album songs from the north" and she replies
correctly and the album art appears. LAME is installed (docker container
on a Synology) and - this is the fun bit - when I the open the
/stream.mp3 URL in my browser (on the same reverse proxied URL) is both
plays *and* a new player appears in LMS called Alexa-XXXXX - but this
player is only there when I am manually streaming to my browser. When I
stop and ask the Echo Show to once again stream, artwork appear but no
autio and no player in LMS web interface.

In terms of the "assume" command, I have followed the docs and tried
variations - my reading implies that when you say "alexa, tell media
server to assume the lounge player" is somehow enabling that specific
Echo Show to stream as a new player in LMS called "Lounge" but perhaps I
have missed a step? It just says "I can't find a player called lounge"
or whatever other room is misheard.

I am not (yet) a subscriber as I want to know if this works, so the
Australia bit is more the location - I am normally in the UK and my root
Amazon account is OK based.