chaug wrote:

> >   >
  - How can I start streaming an LMS-playlist in shuffle mode (so that
  > it starts with a different track every time)
  - What am I doing wrong with the no-invocation commands? I can
  > confidently say that my english pronounciation is in no way unusual
  > or difficult to understand. Alexa understands me fine all the time,
  > except when using the MediaServer app. In fact, the problem exists
  > not just with no-invocation commands. It also occurs when I try to
  > invoke a mediaserve one-shot command, Alexa never gets the entire
  > command. For example, when I say "Alexa, tell media server to play
  > favourite Amina 8", most of the time, she will either say nothing or
  > "Say a mediaserver command".
  - What might be the reason that skipping to the next song will
  > sometimes lead to silence despite the track actually being streamed
  > by LMS? My best guess is that it has to do with encoding. This is
  > happening on a youtube playlist and I believe youtube tracks
  > sometimes use different codecs. But since it is LMS streamingt to
  > Alexa, I would still blame LMS/the plugin for not transcoding into a
  > codec that Alexa understands.
  - Is there any way of making LMS remember the name of the Alexa
  > players?

-  "Alexa, tell MediaServer to stream my -whatever- playlist".
  Subsequently: "Alexa, shuffle". You cannot do it with a single
  combined command. And it will not persist, because AlexaPlayers are
  temporary/ephemeral. An LMS limitation.
-  It's not only pronunciation, it's pacing. If you speak too slowly
  she assumes you broke off the command before you complete it. Too fast
  and she will miss pieces. Background noise doesn't help. Any skill has
  those problems. A workaround until you get used to keeping her happy
  is to 'open' the skill so you're in a session rather than doing a
  one-shot. And look at the Echo while speaking to it. That way, the
  skill has her attention and she's (hopefully) not going to send your
  command to some other skill.
-  Getting audio from LMS to an Echo is not the same as from LMS to a
  squeezebox. It all goes via /stream.mp3 and has to be transcoded. An
  Echo can handle anything you throw at it but LMS cannot stream
  anything other than mp3 (LMS is the limiting factor here). It's very
  likely a transcoding issue (I presume you have LAME installed?). Visit
  e.g. the -h t t p://<lmsip>:9000/stream.mp3?player=Test- endpoint from
  a browser and play some stuff in the newly-created 'Test' player from
  the LMS GUI. I'll bet the sources/tracks that fail with the Echo also
  produce silence in the browser.
-  AlexaPlayers are -network clients- to LMS, not regular players.
  They appear and disappear. However, they always get the same name when
  created (Alexa-xxxxx, where the 'xxxxx' is constant). To protect your
  privacy, Amazon does not allow ANY skill to request the name you gave
  to your Echo in the app — imagine if you called it "Bathroom Echo",
  skill developers would know you had a bathroom in your house !
  :rolleyes: What problem would it solve for you if the names were
  remembered by LMS? Maybe you mean that the players should be permanent
  so that their settings persisted? Well, that would require @philippe
  to create a bridge for them...