philchillbill wrote:
> >   >
  -  "Alexa, tell MediaServer to stream my -whatever- playlist".
  > Subsequently: "Alexa, shuffle". You cannot do it with a single
  > combined command. And it will not persist, because AlexaPlayers are
  > temporary/ephemeral. An LMS limitation.
  -  It's not only pronunciation, it's pacing. If you speak too slowly
  > she assumes you broke off the command before you complete it. Too
  > fast and she will miss pieces. Background noise doesn't help. Any
  > skill has those problems. A workaround until you get used to keeping
  > her happy is to 'open' the skill so you're in a session rather than
  > doing a one-shot. And look at the Echo while speaking to it. That
  > way, the skill has her attention and she's (hopefully) not going to
  > send your command to some other skill.
  -  Getting audio from LMS to an Echo is not the same as from LMS to
  > a squeezebox. It all goes via /stream.mp3 and has to be transcoded.
  > An Echo can handle anything you throw at it but LMS cannot stream
  > anything other than mp3 (LMS is the limiting factor here). It's very
  > likely a transcoding issue (I presume you have LAME installed?).
  > Visit e.g. the -h t t p://<lmsip>:9000/stream.mp3?player=Test-
  > endpoint from a browser and play some stuff in the newly-created
  > 'Test' player from the LMS GUI. I'll bet the sources/tracks that
  > fail with the Echo also produce silence in the browser.
  -  AlexaPlayers are -network clients- to LMS, not regular players.
  > They appear and disappear. However, they always get the same name
  > when created (Alexa-xxxxx, where the 'xxxxx' is constant). To
  > protect your privacy, Amazon does not allow ANY skill to request the
  > name you gave to your Echo in the app — imagine if you called it
  > "Bathroom Echo", skill developers would know you had a bathroom in
  > your house ! :rolleyes: What problem would it solve for you if the
  > names were remembered by LMS? Maybe you mean that the players should
  > be permanent so that their settings persisted? Well, that would
  > require @philippe to create a bridge for them...

I don't see how the speed of my commands is a source of error. I speak
at the same pace as you do in your demonstration video (which is good,
btw. Very nice to get an idea of the app). Besides, there is not much
pacing involved in "Alexa shuffle" or "Alexa, next". Background noise
can be safely excluded too when I'm in the room by myself, with no noise
source anywhere and my standing about half a meter away from the Echo
dot. There is something else going on here.

I will check the test-player next time when the echo dot doesn't want to
play something.

I suppose it's not a big problem when the custom names for my echo dots
don't persist. The reason I was trying to do it was so that I don't have
to remember which is which player when I'm testing things. I didn't
think that the players announce their name to the server but rather that
the server remembers the association between Name and MAC address, so it
looked like something else might be wrong.

That a playlist cannot be shuffled before starting playback is a bummer.
I'm trying to work around that by concatenating the stream command +
Alexa shuffle + Alexa next (in an Alexa routine) but it doesn't work
because whatever comes after "playlist" is interpreted as part of the
name of the playlist. And Alexa doesn't allow two actions with the same
skill in one routine. So it really looks like there is no way of getting
a playlist played in random order without manually issuing the commands
every time.

*Server*: LMS 8.1.1 on an Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine
*Players*: Radio, Touch, Duet (Receiver & Controller), 2 Booms
*Remote control apps*: Material Skin (Web UI), but also SqueezePad
(iOS), Squeezecontroller (Android)
*Important plugins*: Trackstat, Spicefly Sugarcube, Lazy Search Music,
Custom Browse, Multi Library