Two good questions, so I'll tackle them separately:

1) In it's current form - no. I used mplayer outputing wav forced to
44.1KHz for 3 reasons:
a) Simplicity - 1 command to process the stream
b) I use squeezeslave as a client as well as my squeezeboxes, and
this likes audio to be at 44.1KHz
c) Potentially the audio could be AC3 rather than MP2, mplayer
would just handle this. That said, this will not be true of UK DVB-T
for the next few years, so it's not really a good reason for my
application!
The CPU load of this is minimal, but I do find the mplayer start up
time frustrating. Therefore I'm looking at using ts2es to get the raw
stream instead, which seems much quicker. I hope to post an update in
the next few days...

2) I would also like to see this. It's a bit of a learning curve at the
moment however! Any pointers on achieving this greatly appreciated -
both on extracting the EPG data and how to embed it in the mp2 stream
(I'm struggling to find documentation on the latter right now).

--
f948lan