Sorry, I did not know that I have to run the setup script, I will try
that this evening and report.

When I switched from Windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04 (using SC 7.3) I
recognized that after a SC crash it was automatically restarted (which
is different from the Windows version). On Ubuntu there is a
squeezeboxserver_safe process running in addition to the normal
squezeboxserver which may restart squeezboxserver automatically if it
dies?

So it could be that restart is on purpose and it may be that shutdown
from SvrPowerControl always had this behavior. Usually I only use
suspend and I clicked on shutdown only for testing purposes so I don't
know if this happend already with SC 7.3 or if this is new in
squeezboxserver 7.4.

--
dip